How to backup My Documents folder?

9:06:00 PM |

Normally many windows user use My Documents folder to save data, the reason is that  Most Windows programs, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access save their data in My Documents folder by default. Many other subfolders such as My Pictures, My Music and My Received files contain in My Documents folder. Those folders usually take up a lot of space, and they are therefore recommended to be taken care separately. Normally My Documents folder location is C:\ drive when you install your window on C drive, but you can change location of you My Documents folder to other drive, Must do this if your good habit to use My Documents folder frequently.

Also note that some people may have placed some or of the important files on your desktop, the common location for program shortcuts and start icons.  The default location of My Documents folder will vary depending on what version of Windows you're running:
  • C:\Windows\Personal\ on Windows 95.
  • C:\My Documents\ on Windows 98.
  • C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\ on Windows ME, 2000, XP.
These are typical locations, but you can change these location for My Document folder for different windows.
You can find different type of file with different file extensions in My Documents.
  • Microsoft Word (.doc.rtf.dot) documents.
  • Microsoft Excel (.xls.xlt) tables and spreadsheets.
  • Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt.pps.pot) presentations.
  • Database (.mdb.dbf.csv.db.xml) files.
  • Internet (.html.txt.pdf) documents.
  • Digital photo (.tif.jpg) pictures.