- Go to Start -> "Control Panel" -> Click on Porgrams
- Click on "Default Programs"
- Click on "Associate a file type or protocol with a program." to open the "Set Associations" menu.
- Scroll through the list of extensions to locate the .lnk file extension. The listing will show the description and the current default program associated with it.
- Click on the extension (to select it) and then click on "Change Program."
- Select the program you would like to open *.lnk file types.
- Click on OK.
Option 2 (If Option1 fails):
Simply download following file, unzip it, and run it. It will make necessary changes to the registry. Restart the computer and it should be fine.