You need to start Windows from the installation CD or DVD if:
- Your computer has no operating system installed.
- You want to reinstall Windows.
- You need to access system recovery options.
To start Windows from a CD or DVD
- Turn on your computer, insert the Windows installation CD or DVD, and then restart your computer.
- Press any key when prompted to do so and follow any instructions that appear.
- When the Install Windows page appears, click Install now to begin the installation process or click Repair your computer to access system recovery options.
- Follow the instructions.
If the Install Windows page does not appear and you are not asked to press a key to start (or "boot") from CD or DVD, you might have to specify that your computer use its CD or DVD drive as the startup device. This means that you need to set the CD or DVD drive to be the first startup device in the basic input/output system (BIOS). Here's how:
- Turn on your computer, insert the Windows installation disc, and then restart your computer.
- Newer computers usually display a startup (or boot) menu. On the startup menu, select "BIOS setup," or "BIOS settings," or something similar.
Updating the BIOS is an advanced procedure, and if an error occurs, your computer could stop working. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions exactly.Procedures for updating the BIOS vary depending on the manufacturer. Check the information that came with your computer or go to the computer manufacturer's website. Each computer has its own startup (or boot) options and access to the BIOS setup. If your computer does not have a startup menu, look for a message that says "BIOS setup," "BIOS settings," or something similar, and then press the appropriate key when prompted to display the BIOS setup screen.
- The BIOS setup screen appears. On the BIOS setup screen, select the option called "Boot order," or something similar.
- Select your CD or DVD drive as the first startup device.
Restart your computer, and then start Windows from the installation CD or DVD as previously described.