- Make sure the computer is turned off ("Shut-down" from the Windows Start menu)
- Remove any peripherals such an external mouse, keyboard, monitor, USB flash drive etc
- Make sure the AC Adapter is plugged in and working.
- Press and hold down the 0 (zero) key on the keyboard while powering on the computer. Release it when the recovery warning screen appears.
- If the recovery process offers a choice of Operating Systems, select the appropriate one for you.
- A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is executed all data will be deleted and rewritten.
- Click Yes to continue.
- When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens select "Recovery of Factory Software" or the appropriate option for your needs.
- Continue to follow the directions restarting as necessary.
For laptops equipped with Windows 8, "Reset" returns your computer to its out-of-box, factory default conditions (removes your personal files and apps as well reset all settings to defaults) similar to a “System Recovery.” Refer to the How To: Understanding System Restore, Refresh, Reset, and, Recovery options in Windows 8 + Video knowledge base article for complete information.
Please note that the process may vary slightly from machine to machine, that you may be asked to insert disks (multi-disk packages) and that the process may take one to two hours to complete. The recovery process will restart your computer several times.
How to restore your Toshiba laptop
Many Toshiba laptops come with the factory software recovery image stored in a special (hidden) area on the hard disk. From this special hidden system recovery image, you can restore your computer to its factory-fresh software condition by following these steps: