26 Tips to Keep Your Computer Up and Functioning

8:49:00 PM |

Open Loops blogger Bert Webb and I often collaborate on projects, include guesting at each others functions. At a recent presentation I did on “Effective Workplace Communication” the laptop I was using to run my PowerPoint presentation became possessed by evil juju and began a spontaneous series of automated functions ending in a system shutdown. Bert and I had different theories about why this occurred at this particular moment in the great cosmos. But, one thing we did agree on is “technology is a great thing…when it works!” And Murphy’s’ Law can be suspended.
Based on that I have put together the following list that usually keeps me functioning.
When I loose productive time at work it is usually because of a problem I have encountered with my computer. And any time I have a computer problem it is usually related to one of the following items. In order to be a little proactive I have build this little checklist. I have automated as many of them as I can and if much of your livelihood depends on your technology functioning smoothly I suggest you consider doing the same.
Computer Maintenance Checklist
At system setup
  1. Install a surge suppressor/emergency shutdown power strip
  2. Register your software products
  3. Schedule automated updates
  4. Read the maintenance section of your manual
  5. Set up your email to auto-archive older messages
  6. Install anti virus software
  7. Install anti-advertising software
  8. Put your software drivers in a pocket sleeve 3 ring binder
Weekly
  1. Run a disk scan to check for hard drive issues
  2. Run a defragmentation program
  3. Run a clean up to delete unneeded files
  4. Back up your files to a remote location
  5. Empty your recycle bin
  6. Delete your Internet files
  7. Clear your browsing history
  8. Delete your cookies
  9. Update your virus definitions
  10. Run a full virus scan
Monthly
  1. Check for updates
  2. Delete/uninstall unneeded or unused programs
Quarterly
  1. Clean your keyboard
  2. Clean your monitor
  3. Clean your peripherals
  4. Rebuild your desktop
  5. Change all your passwords